IFFI Jury Head calls The Kashmir Files, a propaganda and vulgar movie

Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid said: All of us were disturbed and shocked by the 15th film - the movie 'The Kashmir Files'. That felt to us like a propaganda, vulgar movie, inappropriate for an artistic competitive section of such a prestigious film festival

Date:

Share post:

Kolkata: The Kashmir Files, the controversial movie which was praised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been termed a ‘propaganda’ and ‘vulgar movie’ by the jury head of the 53rd International Film Festival.

Speaking in Goa, where IFFI was held between November 20 to 28, Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid, who headed the IFFI jury, said “all of them” were “disturbed and shocked” to see the film screened at the festival.

The Kashmir Files revolves around the killings and exodus of Kashmiri Pandits in 1990 from Kashmir Valley.

“It seemed to us like a propagandist movie inappropriate for an artistic, competitive section of such a prestigious film festival. I feel totally comfortable to share openly these feelings here with you on stage. Since the spirit of having a festival is to accept also a critical discussion which is essential for art and for life,” Lapid said in his address.

The Anupam Kher, Mithun Chakraborty and Pallavi Joshi starrer, directed by Vivek Agnihotri, was featured in the Panorama section of the festival last week.

The film has been praised by the BJP and has been declared tax-free in most BJP-ruled states and was a box office hit. PM Modi and Union home minister Amit Shah have praised the movie.

Many, however, have criticised the content, calling it a one-sided portrayal of the events that is sometimes factually incorrect and claiming the movie has a “propagandist tone”.

Ealier, Singapore banned the movie, citing concerns over its “potential to cause enmity between different communities”.

“The film will be refused classification for its provocative and one-sided portrayal of Muslims and the depictions of Hindus being persecuted in the ongoing conflict in Kashmir,” read a statement from the Singapore government, reported news agency Press Trust of India.
He claimed this was the reason his press conference was cancelled by the Foreign Correspondents Club and the Press Club of India

Actor Prakash Raj tweeted after the publication of the news about the Israeli filmmaker’s statement, “SHAME is Official now (sic).”

spot_img

Related articles

Silent Brain Damage: How High Blood Pressure Affects the Brain

High blood pressure, or hypertension, is often called a “silent killer” because it may not produce noticeable symptoms...

The Sound of Bulldozers and the Making of a New Bengal

BJP's demolition drives across Bengal signal the arrival of a politics where spectacle overtakes due process, and the urban poor increasingly become targets of governance shaped by exclusion, fear, and corporate expansion.

The Politics of Memory and Desire in Nalin Verma’s Sacred Unions and Other Stories

In Sacred Unions and Other Stories, Nalin Verma crafts unforgettable tales of love, memory, faith, and rural transformation, turning ordinary lives of Purvanchal into emotionally resonant literary experiences

A Seat at the Table? Why Muslims, India’s Largest Minority, Are Fading from the Saffron Project

From zero Muslim candidates to polarising rhetoric, the commentary examines why the BJP struggles to gain Muslim trust and asks whether the party has genuinely attempted inclusive politics